LogoLogo

Osimo, Province of Ancona, Marche

Osimo extends near the Adriatic Sea over the hills of the province of Ancona 3 km from the Musone River. The land is fertile and suitable for agriculture. Its historic center stands on two hills side by side, the highest of which, on which the city's cathedral stands, is called Gòmero.

Info

  • Altitude: 265 m asl
  • Population: about 34,000 inhabitants in 2022
  • Zip/postal code: 60027
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 071
  • Demonym: Osimani
  • Patron Saint: San Giuseppe from Copertino
  • Frazioni: Abbadia, Campocavallo, Casenuove, Casette di Rinaldo, Cucchiarello, Fornace Morando, Osimo Stazione, Padiglione, Passatempo, San Biagio, Montegallo, San Paterniano, La Villa, San Sabino, Santo Stefano, San Valentino

History

Its name comes from Vetus Auximum. In 1663 Saint Joseph of Copertino, patron saint of the city, died in Osimo. The place is also known for the Treaty of Osimo signed here on November 10, 1975, with which the border between Italy and Yugoslavia was finally fixed. The diocese of Osimo has existed since the 7th century, then in 1986 it was merged with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ancona and is now known as the Archdiocese of Ancona-Osimo.

What to see

    Cathedral of San Leopardo
  • The Cathedral of San Leopardo, whose built original structure dates back to the 12th and 13th centuries, is a fine example of Romanesque-Gothic architecture of the Marches. Though the cathedral underwent various changes over time, the exterior retains the ancient austerity, with its large rose window and stone portals.

    Inside it is possible to visit the crypt, built in 1191 by Mastro Filippo, which houses the sarcophagi with the relics of the first martyrs (Sisinnio, Fiorenzo and Diocleziano, stoned on 11 May 304 AD under emperor Diocletian) and of the holy bishops of Osimo. Near the second chapel on the left there is a "Cristo in Pietà by Guido Reni.

    In the first chapel on the right, the work of the architect Costantini, there is a large wooden crucifix from the 12th century, with the peculiarity of the Christ appearing, according to the light, in male form (direct spotlight) or in female form (without spotlight, under the skylight at noon). Next to the cathedral is the fifteenth-century baptistery, with a remarkable wooden-coffered ceiling, the work of Antonio Sarti of Jesi, and a bronze baptismal font of the early seventeenth century, the work of brothers Pier Paolo and Tarquinio Jacometti of Recanati.

  • The Basilica of San Giuseppe da Copertino, located behind Piazza Boccolino, the main square in the center. Initially dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi and built shortly after the saint's visit to the city, which took place in 1220, it was re-titled in the second half of the 18th century, after the canonization of Friar Giuseppe. The interior was completely renovated, preserving only the austere simplicity of the original Romanesque-Gothic style on the outside. Inside it is possible to visit the crypt, which preserves the remains of St. Joseph of Copertino, patron saint of Osimo and patron saint of students and the rooms, now a museum, where Giuseppe spent the last years of his life. In the second altar on the left there is a "Madonna with Child and Saints" by Antonio Solario (1503).
ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Family History
Genealogy ResearchNeed help in your research?
Contact us with details and priorities.
Provinces of Marche
Marche region
Surnames in the Provinces of Marche
Top