Sondrio, Province of Sondrio, Lombardy
Sondrio is located in the northern part of Lombardy, in the centre of Valtellina, with high mountains in the background, reaching4050 m a.s.l. with Pizzo Bernina.
- Altitude: 305 m a.s.l
- Population: about 21,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 23100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0342
- Patron Saint: St. Gervasio and san Protasio, celebrated on 10th June
- Frazioni & Localities: Arquino, Colda, Ligari, Moroni, Mossini, Ponchiera, Sant'Anna, Triangia.
From the latter half of the 16th century to the 18th century Sondrio was governed by the Three Gray Leagues of the Grisons and was the capital city of Valtellina. At the time of the Reformation, there were bloody struggles between the Catholic Valtellinesi and the Protestant Grisons.
What to see
- The heart of Sondrio is the central Palazzo Sassi de' Lavizzariwhich hosts the Museo Valtellinese di Storia e Arte, divided into two sections, Archaeology and Art, which also houses an 18th century Stüa, a complete drawing room with floor, roof, furniture, all in carved wood.
- The church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio, joint patrons of Sondrio, with a massive belltower in unrefined stone.
- The Masegra Castle, a 14th century palace repeatedly transformed in the centuries with two towers and imposing portal.
- The Sondriofestival, a unique event in its 21st year in 2007, held from 15 to 21 October, devoted to nature documentaries made in protected areas all over the world.
Where to stay
Contact us with details and priorities.