LogoLogo

Balestrino, Province of Savona, Liguria

Balestrino is a small town located about 40 of Savona, in Liguria, 8 km in the hinterland from the sea, and consists of 4 villages connected among them through paths surrounded by forests.

Thanks to its position in the mountains, Balestrino offers beautiful itineraries for trekking and biking, and is just 10 minutes driving from the sea-front, the nearest beach resorts being Borghetto Santo Spirito and Loano.

Info

  • Altitude: 371 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 530 inhabitants in 2022
  • Zip/postal code: 17020
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0182
  • Patron Saint: St Anrew, celebrated on 30 November
  • Frazioni & Localities: Borgo, Poggio, Cuneo and Bergalla

History

The castle was built between 1515 and 1559 for the Marchese Pirro II del Carretto. Balestrino was largely abandoned in 1953 because of a feared landslide, so the town center is characterized by abandoned houses. Today's inhabitants have settled on the outskirts of the former village.

What to see

  • The former church of Sant'Andrea in the hamlet of Borgo, built on the remains of a pre-existing chapel between 1594 and 1624, also thanks to the funding given by the local Di Negri family, who then emigrated to Spain.
  • The Oratory of the Madonna di Marzo in the hamlet of Borgo, dating back to 1483, previously the seat of the Confraternity of San Carlo.
  • Parish church of Sant'Andrea in the hamlet of Poggio. Built in a modern style to replace the previous parish church no longer open to the public, it features a marble altar of 1641, the work of sculptor Giovanni Orsolino, and a marble pulpit with coat of arms of the Del Carretto family dated 1702.
  • Countryside church of San Giorgio in the hamlet of Poggio, inside the cemetery, with a 12th-century bell tower. Of ancient origin, it was rebuilt in 1340 in a simple Romanesque style. It houses some cycles of 15th century frescoes depicting saints, scenes from the Bible and a nativity scene in the apse.
  • Chapel of Sant'Apollonia in the hamlet of Bergalla, built on the foundations of a pre-existing place of worship dedicated to San Calogero.
  • Country chapel of St. Anthony of Padua in the Cuneo district.
  • Sanctuary of Reconciliation and Peace at Mount Croce, built after the Marian apparitions of the Virgin Mary between 1949 and 1986 to Caterina Richero, an inhabitant of Bergalla.

Genealogy and Links

ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Family History
Genealogy ResearchNeed help in your research?
Contact us with details and priorities.
Provinces of Liguria
Liguria region
Surnames in the Provinces of Liguria
Top