The earliest written record was in until 980 AD when the lucus of Ponte Sancte Anastasie appears in a grant of Lombard prince Pandolfo Testadiferro to the abbot of Santi Lupolo e Zosimo of Benevento. The present settlement was rose around the year 1000, around a castle which in 1087 became the property of Baldovino the Norman, a vassal of Count Rainulfo. Then Ponte came under various feudal lords, as the Fenucchio, the Sanframondo, the Caracciolos and finally, from 1585, the Sarriano family who held it until the abolition of feudalism in 1806.
In 1829 Ponte lost its autonomy and was united with Casalduni. In the second half of the 1800s the Pontesi began a long battle for autonomy. In 1892 it was detached from Casalduni to be united with Paupisi with the name of Ponte Paupisi. Finally in 1913 Ponte became an autonomous municipality.